Monday, July 12, 2010

3-D Five Point Star

Hello! Today I'm going to share a simple way to make a 3-D five point paper star using only paper, a bone folder and scissors. As soon as I learned I'd be working with the Independence collection for July's tutorial, I immediately knew that this is what I wanted to share.



Patterned paper (GCD Studio's Independence collection: Constitution, Antietam, Carnegie, Jefferson, and Lexington), cardstock (kraft), stamp (Hero Arts), ribbon (Michael's Stores, Inc), flower (Prima), thread (Coats & Clark)

In my mind, Independence arouses wonderful memories of hot summer weather, the smell of a charcoal grill and the feeling of never ending summers in our back yard spent with family and friends... American summer at its best.


To create these stars:

1) cut a piece of paper into a square





2) fold paper in half so that the fold is at the top



3) fold the top right corner to the opposite side of the rectangle so that the corner meets the edge about 2/3rds of the way down the paper



4) fold top left corner up along first fold




5) flip over 


6) fold in half




7) take scissors and cut an obtuse triangle. This triangle will become the star




8) unfold and crease top edges

9) to embellish with flower or ribbon, cut off center point and adhere embellishment


I remember folding these stars as a kid to make homemade decorations for family cookouts and reunions.  I hope this is something that inspires you to grab a pair of scissors and make these homespun memories of summer for yourself.


Have a great week!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Oh these are just gorgeous Windy, Jan and I have our scrap day tomorrow and this I have to show her, we will try it, truly magnificent. you know just which papers to use and well your ribbons are always beautiful. Melxx